Alpha Flour Mill

Production date
By 1880
The Alpha Flour Mill near Huatoki Stream on Carrington Street (then known as Carrington Road), photographed from near the upper end of Brougham Street. The Alpha was built in 1843, making it the first commercial flour mill in Taranaki, and stood on Baines Terrace until it was demolished in 1880. A roughly formed Pendarves Street (later straightened) winds up the hill to Liardet Street and Poverty Flat (now the site of Central School) which was used by troops from Marsland Hill as a parade and drill ground. Mace House can be seen on top of the hill directly above the mill.
See full details

Object detail

Production role
Production date
By 1880
Production period
Current rights
Accession number
Collection type


Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.