King, Mary St George
Document pertaining to a case of consent of beneficiaries in the estate of Mary St George King (wife of Newton King) of a proposal of the Trustees to transfer part of the “Brooklands” property to the New Plymouth Borough Council, 9 September 1933.
This relates to the property the King's resided in at Brooklands, in central New Plymouth from 1888. They developed its gardens and opened them to the public on Sundays. Mary transferred The Gables (the old hospital) to the property in 1903. Newton died in 1927 and Mary in 1930, and in 1933 the trustees of estate gave Brooklands to the town in lieu of the £7,000 Newton had bequeathed to public reserves, as all cash funds where tied up in the Newton King business.