View of New Plymouth Public Library / Carnegie Library from corner of Brougham and King streets (main entrance). Following discussions between the mayor of New Plymouth, Mr A.C. Fookes and the American industrialist, Andrew Carnegie, a grant of two thousand five hundred pounds was made on 13 February 1906 to the New Plymouth Borough Council for a new library building. An architectural competition was held, the winning architect being Frank Messenger. The building was formally opened on 1 July 1908 by the Mayor, Mr Gustave Tisch. At this time the museum remained in the old town hall.
See full details